Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"After all these years, I just kind of go with it"


I was one of the multitudes who waited in lines and in theaters for hours to be one of the first to see the newest installment of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I have had almost 12 hours to digest and am ready to spill...

WARNING: Spoilers ahead.

This movie is less about the mechanical, the spells, and the potions, and more about the motion and the atmosphere. They are setting this up. They need to. Things needed to be explained. And most importantly, it's funny. The humor comes very naturally in the movie and the audience was laughing through most of it starting from the staircase scene in the Burrow until literally the last 20 minutes.

There is so much more Ron. He is great and hysterical and I never thought I'd say this but the biggest laughs come from Harry. Yeah that's right, Harry. I was greatly surprised by Daniel Radcliffe's ability to pull it off. Together the chemistry was there. Speaking of chemistry...

Ginny and Harry. Hermione and Ron. Both relationships were spot on!

One of my dislikes, the development of the relationship between Ginny and Harry. In the book this builds for a long time. And they finally kiss in front of the entire Gryffindor common room after Ginny wins the Quidditch championship while Harry is in detention, after which they date for a while. This is
my favorite part of the book. My problem? This isn't in the movie! No championship, no detention. I won't lie though, the kiss is HOT! As for Ron and Hermoine, it went perfectly. Lavendar Brown is wonderful, completely creepy and her braids crack me up.

My other problems with the movie? The pace and the ending. It didn't flow the way I would have liked it to. Again this goes back to having to cut out a lot of the book to fit in the bare bones. The ending however bothered me. The book is supposed to end after the funeral. After Harry tells Ginny they can't be together. Not in the movie though...

Now for the positives! Break out roles: Ginny Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Bellatix Lestrange, and of course Professor Severus Snape.

Ginny Weasley, enough said. Love of Harry Potters life. Only she is beautiful and eloquent. She holds herself so well in the movie. Love her. And love Bonnie Wright, she is
my new obsession.

Draco Malfoy, it's about freaking time! He is brilliant. Brilliant! From start to finish he is struggling to survive, to deal with his task. He is perfect. My only problem with him is how they dress him. I dig the suits but they make him look like he has a cinched waist. Ew! And he's still sexxy.

Bellatrix Lestrange. I need more. She is so bad it's good. Helena Bonham Carter is a-mazing. She is the best kind of evil. She is the kind of evil that curls your toes. But at the end of the day, you want more. Not to mention, I think she looks good somehow. And please don't ask me how.

Lastly, Snape. Oh Snape. You know while you're watching. You know what happens. The 7th book. Why he does everything he does. God bless Alan Rickman. He makes you feel it. He is bold and strong and evil, and touching. I am legitimately obsessed, no need to tell me. You want to hate him, but you can't. Not anymore. He is the hero of the movie, and everyone knew it. You could feel the compassion in the end. When Harry is hurling curses at Snape. My favorite moment of the movie.

"He trusted you!"

It almost got me...No one cried around me, but there were gasps and jumps and covered faces and it is a good movie. It's not everything I wanted it to be, but I will see it at least 2 more times. You should too. My question to you. Boy who plays young Voldemort...brilliant or annoying?

No comments:

Post a Comment